Tuesday, January 30, 2018

This Title Has A Pressure-Relieving [ ] Cutout In The MIddle!

Remember when it seemed like you couldn't go a day without reading a news story about how cycling purées your genitals into a state of total uselessness?  Well, my latest Outside column is about how that's a load of crap:



Hey, I'm not saying bad fit or technique can't cause extreme crotchal discomfort, but I am saying that the idea that we're all pedaling ourselves into complete asexuality is a conspiracy to keep people off bicycles--or to sell saddles with cutouts in them, I can't decide which.

Sort of like how helmet-shaming is a conspiracy to keep people off bicycles--or to sell more helmets, I can't decide which.



In addition to setting me up with the bike, Chris from Marin also outlined a delightful route for me, which happened to pass by a lovely little bakery.  Well, I recently received an email from him letting me know this happened:


At least six patrons suffered minor injuries after a car crashed Sunday afternoon into the popular Wild Flour Bread bakery in Freestone, the CHP said.

The crash involving a silver BMW hatchback was reported just after 12:30 p.m. The driver, who wasn’t identified, was pulling into a parking spot when he hit the accelerator instead of the brake and plowed into the Bohemian Highway bakery, CHP Sgt. Eric Iverson said.

“It was full of patrons,” he said.

You know how it is.  One minute you're making a mid-ride fuel stop, and the next you're picking glass out of your scone:


Fortunately, nobody's more helpful than cyclists:


Though I'm sure a lie about swerving to avoid one will be instrumental in the driver's defense.



from Bike Snob NYC http://ift.tt/2GviUcu

No comments:

Post a Comment