Friday, December 1, 2017

BSNYC Friday No Quiz!

Wait a minute--could it be?  Why yes!  It's another Outside column!


They should just let me write the whole damn magazine already.

Moving on, I'm pleased to announce I treated myself to a bicycle ride this morning.  No wood, no crabon, just a metal bike with metal wheels:



I am extremely fond of this bicycle--it's my favorite bendy-bar bike--and really when it comes down to it is there anything you can't do on a road bike with mountain bike pedals and medium reach brakes?  Well, sure, but it's pretty goddamn versatile, and it fits 35mm tires with plenty of room to spare:


I picked these tires up awhile back in the spirit of trying something new, and so far they've been great, but the venerable Panaracer Pasela remains my favorite.

As for my ride, you'll no doubt be thrilled to learn I enjoyed it very much, because there's nothing better than knowing other people are out riding while you're working.  I even treated myself to a fancy farm-to-table lunch at the Stone Barns Center For Food And Agriculture:


I spent $15 because that's just the sort of decadent lifestyle I lead.

Anyway, Stone Barns is a lovely place, though they have a patently absurd policy with regard to bicycles:


Keep in mind this rack is like half a mile from the café, which would require like 15 minutes of cleated clomping each way.  Also keep in mind that while they don't allow bikes you're perfectly welcome to drive around the place in your car, and there are multiple parking lots on the grounds:


Yes, welcome to America, a topsy-turvy place where bikes are more dangerous than cars and guns keep you safe.

I should say though that any time I've stopped here I've ignored the sign and so far I haven't had any trouble.  There was this one time when the woman in the booth balked a bit, but I laid it on thick about how I'd ridden all the way up from the city and how I promised to ride really slowly.  She acquiesced, and incredibly I managed not to kill anybody with my 20lb pedal-powered death machine.

And with that, I leave you to your weekends.  Enjoy, ride safe, and thanks for reading.  Your bill is in the mail.


--Wildcat Rock Machine





from Bike Snob NYC http://ift.tt/2iAqCuX

No comments:

Post a Comment