Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Bicycles Old And New

Hello!

It's been a wild 24 hours of hot and wild cycling action here at BSNYC/WCRM/TT headquarters--hot because it's been like 90 degrees every day, and wild because yesterday I did this:


And today I did this:


The first top tube pictured is of course that of the Drysdale, which I review in detail in a forthcoming Outside column.  Pending that, I'll just say I've really fallen for this thing in a big way, and it's kind of becoming my daily driver (for road rides anyway):


If your'e wondering why the elegant Silca frame pump is not on the bike, it's because as I sat down to take this photo three riders approached me and asked to borrow it.  I proffered it immediately, and what do you know, it's not compatible with a Presta valve.  (I guess all the cool kids must have used Woods valves back in the '50s.)  Anyway, I was happy to find out the easy way, and not the hard way, which would have been far from home with a flat and child pickup time rapidly approaching.

Thank you, wayward Freds.

Anyway, so much do I enjoy the Drysdale that I've even grown sort of fond of the whole shoe/pedal arrangement.  While I started out riding road bikes in sneakers and crappy plastic toe clips like any other nascent Fred, clipless pedals were already the standard when I got "serious" about it, so prior to the Drysdale I had no experience with old-timey cleats and straps.  (At L'Eroica in Italy I used these, which aren't the real deal.)  Now though I'm pretty much used to them, and loosening the toe strap in anticipation of having to put a foot down has already become second-nature.  (Though I'm still bound to fall over sooner or later.)

As for the ride on the Jones, I squeezed that in this morning while my phone was being repaired at the Apple store.  Hey, I'm not crazy about malls, but sometimes having one immediately adjacent to your favorite riding spot is incredibly convenient:


Say what you will about Apple, but they earned their trillion-dollar market cap today by giving me an excuse to ride.

Speaking of the Jones, yesterday I shared my first impressions of the Saris SuperClamp EX, and in that post I wrote the following:

Now though axles are getting fatter and wider, and with a 150x15mm front thru-axle on the Jones there's no adapter currently existing that's going to get this thing on my fork mount roof rack:

Well, Jeff Jones himself subsequently wrote in to let me know that indeed there is:


This doesn't meaningfully alter the calculus that resulted in my procuring a hitch rack, but it is very good to know, and if you're in a similar predicament and want a relatively inexpensive solution well there it is.

And finally, I'm famous...in Canada:


Here's the story:


I contributed virtually nothing to that otherwise solid report, but hey, I'll take it.


from Bike Snob NYC https://ift.tt/2OngCiO

No comments:

Post a Comment