Wednesday, August 22, 2018

*Comes Crashing Through Wall On Zipline* I'm Here!!!

Sorry for my absence.  It's that fallow period between camp and school which means I've got to kick the parenting machine into high gear--and I'm not messing around, either, because I'm just back from the Bronx Zoo Treetop Adventure:


And yes, I wore a helmet.

If you're looking for a family activity I highly recommend it, though I'm sure to the Mountaineering Freds it's the equivalent of riding a rental bike around Central Park.  Speaking of which, we also got a little riding in yesterday:


On our fancy new neighborhood bike lane:


Which the Community Board chair called a "failure of democracy."

The younger one's also getting better at riding, though he's still more interested in pitching socks out the window:


You now know every single thing about my life.

Didn't you like it better when I was anonymous?


(Nobody ever did figure out the significance of that hat.)

Sure you did:


Speaking of Bicycling, they're taking a completely unnecessary stand against pedestrians in the bike lane:


Filling bike lanes with pedestrians, pushcarts, and construction equipment is not just frustrating for cyclists, but actually works against the efficient movement of people on bikes through crowded urban spaces. If your city really wants to unlock the mass mobility benefits of cycling, bike lanes must be treated as travel lanes.

I guess what happened is people saw this video and thought Henry Grabar was advocating for walking in the bike lane:



And I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because it seemed totally clear to me that's not what he was saying at all.  He's just saying they're also for non-bike (and obviously non-car) traffic that's "moving too fast for the sidewalk," such as those new fangled electric scooters, which I'm totally cool with.

Then again, he also defends shoaling:


Hey, he credits me for the term and pronounces my name right, so as far as I'm concerned he can say whatever he wants:



Honestly you can break any rule as long as you do so conscientiously.

Also, at this point in my life it's becoming extremely difficult to care what people do on or with their bikes.

Finally, yesterday I tweeted this:

Which prompted someone to tweet this:


Nice.

from Bike Snob NYC https://ift.tt/2BBfp63

No comments:

Post a Comment