Wednesday, April 27, 2016

What I Ate Wednesday: Surprise Yourself

Humans, man, we’re freakin’ weird. Total walking contradictions of ourselves. We’re our own little Yin and Yang all in one. I’ll give you an example: I freaking love surprises. I love being scared, I love being shocked, I love the idea of someone being able to hide something from me, to pull of an elaborate surprise. To me, it’s the nicest thing someone could do for someone else. That’s weird in itself right? I like the idea that someone would run around and lie to me so they could jump out of a cake and yell surprise, but hey, it is what it is.

But at the same time, I equally love ruining surprises for myself. I can almost always guess what  a gift will be, or guess whatever someone’s “big news” is. I can usually tell when something feels different in the air. As a result, there really isn’t much that ever surprises me.


Breakfast

Raspberry Banana Spinach Vega Sport Protein Coconut Milk Smoothie

In it 4 the Long Run

Coffee

Ethiopian Pour Over

In it 4 the Long Run


Maybe it comes from having that super charming personality trait where I think I’m always right. Like I can’t fathom someone hiding something from me, because I would just know. Don’t you just hate those people. I do, because they usually think they’re right when really I’m right. I’m kidding. I do try to reel it in most of the time. However, when it comes to the fun little conversations with myself I often think I know best.

But if I had to pick a theme for 2016, so far on this lovely April 24th, it would be:

Surprise Yourself.

In it 4 the Long Run

At the ripe old age of 23 I often think I know best, especially when it comes to knowing myself.

  • I’m not good at small talk
  • I won’t meet new people on Nantucket
  • I can’t wake up early to run before work
  • I won’t have new experiences in my hometown
  • I can’t do this
  • I won’t do that
  • I shouldn’t go here
  • I’m not XYZ
  • The list goes on

But there’s a small voice in the back of my head that whispers, “just surprise yourself.” And with an open mind I can actually see the opportunities to prove myself wrong. Of course, a piece of me, the stubborn side, loses a bet I’ve made about myself, but a bigger piece of me, the side that craves growth, wins.

Each new friend I’ve made, experience I’ve had, belief I’ve disproved is an expansion of my universe.


Lunch

Quest bar & a spicy lemonade

In it 4 the Long Run

Snack

Avocado Toast

In it 4 the Long Run

Dinner

Leftover Zoodles with Spicy Almond Butter Sauce

In it 4 the Long Run


I’m honestly shocked how many negative beliefs I’ve held onto for so long. They never felt toxic as they formed, but once I let go of each preconceived notion about how things “should happen” or are “supposed to” be I feel lighter and more connected to a person I really enjoy being.

It’s like an “oh shit” moment when you realize, wait a second… if that belief about myself wasn’t really true, and that lie I told myself about myself wasn’t true, then maybe I can do that thing that I’ve always secretly wanted to do. Like, I don’t know, be my own boss, travel the world, connect with amazing humans.

So before I get too far off in woo-woo land as I tend to go, I’ll leave you with this simple challenge: Surprise Yourself.

Your Turn:

  • Do you like surprised?
  • Have you ever surprised yourself about a belief you had?

The post What I Ate Wednesday: Surprise Yourself appeared first on In it for the Long Run.



from In it for the Long Run http://ift.tt/21f13dS

No comments:

Post a Comment