Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Putting the "Pro" in Pro Bono

Well the snowstorm they've been promising is arriving in fits and starts:


And I'm also curating the vomitorial stylings of a sick three year-old:


Which can only mean one thing...my training is in serious jeopardy!


Just kidding:


No, I'm not that far gone--though I do keep a training journal:


At this point however it's developing into a real "The Shining" situation:


Yeah, things are getting really creepy in my household:


I realize this is the sort of situation that drives people to Zwift, but last time I messed around with virtual reality things got weird fast:





What can I say?  It's just the sort of glamorous lifestyle we lead.

Anyway, the venerable and esteemed commenter Leroy's Dog informs me that the attorney who represents Russian doping doctor Grigory Rodchenkov in the film, one Jim Walden, Esq.:


(Not Jim Walden, that's the 1-800-LAWYERS guy.  I'm afraid if I use a photo of Jim Walden he'll send me one of those "Seasoned Insist" letters.)

Is the very same lawyer who represented the NIMBY alliance who attempted to litigate the Prospect Park West bike lane in Brooklyn out of existence:


Neighbors for Better Bike Lanes — which includes Schumer’s wife, the former Transportation Commissioner Iris Weinshall, and former Sanitation Commissioner Norman Steisel — says it “plans to file suit” over a cycle path that it says was installed based on incorrect information by an agency that intentionally ignored the facts.

And here’s where the plot thickens: The group’s pro-bono attorney is none other than Schumer campaign contributor Jim Walden, whose name was tossed around in 2009 as a possible U.S. Attorney, though the job ultimately went to another Schumer ally.

He also offered to help Community Board 8 on the Upper East Side fight the Queensboro Bridge bike lane project:


Jim Walden, who has long fought the Prospect Park West bike lane on behalf of opponents, sent an e-mail to Community Board 8 offering assistance. 
UPPER EAST SIDE — Days after the city announced plans to bolster bicycle paths near the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge, the lawyer representing opponents of the controversial Prospect Park West bike lane offered to help Upper East Side locals opposed to the proposal.

Jim Walden, who represents "two community groups opposed to the two-way, parking protected bike lane on Prospect Park West in Brooklyn" pro bono, fired off an e-mail to members of Community Board 8 offering assistance, DNAinfo.com New York has learned.

And he also bravely represented some more NIMBYs in SoHo in their lawsuit to fight against the installation of a rack.

Now, I won't call him a giant oily douche because that's no doubt slander or defamation of character or some other term I've seen used in the movies, but is it admissible to call him an alleged douche?

Just asking.

Anyway, with Icarus having one the Academic Award in a weird way I suppose something or other has come full circle.

Finally, here's your Right Hook of the Day:


It's always "I didn't see you," isn't it?


from Bike Snob NYC http://ift.tt/2Flx5Eg

No comments:

Post a Comment