Thursday, August 10, 2017

Today's Post Will Be Short But Short

Hello!

Just a quick post to introduce you to my new hero.  No, not the YouTuber who's been riding around the city with a car horn bolted to his bike, but the woman who gives him what for about five seconds into one of his most recent videos:



Is it annoying when people stand in the bike lane?  Yes.  Did he nevertheless have plenty of time to anticipate her presence and plenty of room to pass?  Also yes.  Is there anything more satisfying than an expertly deployed "Fuck you"?  Almost certainly not:


Here's the deal: riding at someone while frantically ringing your bell, even if they're where they're not "supposed" to be, is like protesting the fact that someone didn't clean up after their dog by stepping right into a pile of its shit.

And as far as the horn goes:


Why adapt one of the shittiest aspects of cars to the bicycle?  Is there anything more irritating than the self-important bleating of the urban motorist?  Oh sure, it's bumper-to-bumper traffic for 20 blocks, but the asshole in the Hyundai really needs to be somewhere so let's all move out of the way.  Unless your vehicle says "Ambulance" on it and someone's hemorrhaging in the back of it you should probably shut the fuck up.

On the other hand, if this were a hand-held horn and he stuck it in the open windows of cars that were, say, blocking the bike lane, then I could certainly get behind that.

I mean, I'd never do myself it because way too many people are violent lunatics, but I'd certainly watch the video.

Anyway, that's all from me for now.  If you haven't had enough of me for today then check out the Bike Forecast, and if you have I'll see you back here tomorrow.

I love you all (yes, even you, crazy bike horn person),


--Wildcat Rock Etc.




from Bike Snob NYC http://ift.tt/2uthoFp

No comments:

Post a Comment