Monday, October 23, 2017

CSPC-Mandated Title You're Welcome To File Off Once You Get Home

Well hey, look at that!  I have another smug piece of extracurricular prose to share, this one from Reclaim:


How, then, are we supposed to mint the cyclists of tomorrow? Are they supposed to leap fully formed from the head of Zeus? Are they supposed to ride up and down the sidewalk in front of their building until they hit puberty? How does a child learn that cycling is a healthy and normal form of transportation when actually doing it with their parents is nearly impossible?

Of course there are those who would argue that cycling is not a healthy and normal form of transportation and that we should all do things the American way instead:


This certainly seems to be what people who follow Outside magazine on Facebook think, because on Friday they published this:


And as I predicted, the Facebook commentary was head-splittingly stupid.  For example, did you know that cyclists never have the right of way over a driver?


Then there's one of my favorite forms of Internet commentary, which is when some doofus tries to reduce you to a stereotype and fumbles it completely:


Wrong, dipshit.  I'll be making steak for dinner tonight, and I've often considered buying parakeets from Petco and using them as cat toys.  But sure, anyone who thinks differently from you is a "vegan," which is something you use as a pejorative because you lead a depressingly provincial existence.

That's not to say I'm not above stereotyping people myself.  For example, I bet Nicholas White is a guy who uses too much hair product and repairs vinyl seats for a living:


Hey, I was right!

Have a cracked dash or seat from the heat I can fix it, contact me for a quote - ‎Blanco Interiors LLC

Not that there's anything wrong with that, because it sounds like good, honest work.  In fact I feel sort of bad for him now, since I realize he's merely being protective of his livelihood.  But he needn't worry, because in a car-free future he can easily transition into bicycle saddle repair.

Hey, I'd hire him to repair my car seats, but unfortunately they're made out of cloth.  Nevertheless, if he'd like to suck the farts out of them for me I've got a sawbuck with his name on it.

Oh, and speaking of Outside columns, while I'm sick of the subject of suspension to the point of nausea I did spot this bike yesterday during a family outing to the Botanical Garden:


And while it's always a treat to spot a rolling time capsule I was particularly taken with the fork:


My knowledge of '90s suspension is fairly cursory since I was deep in the throes of Fredness at the time, but the Twitterati were kind enough to inform me that it's an AMP Research fork.

Alas, AMP research are now focussed on truck running boards and the like, so there you go:


Finally, just another reminder to join me for some beer and bloviation in Brooklyn on Wednesday:


Join us for a fast-paced hour of ideas, entrepreneurs and bikes, capturing the exciting things happening in the bike industry at DRAFT: NYC in Brooklyn.
Directions
61 Greenpoint Ave., Greenpoint, Brooklyn
The nearest train is G. Stop at Greenpoint Avenue and proceed to Brooklyn Bicycle Co. We're in suite 638 - buzz 970 and walk around the corner to the elevator and head up to the 6th floor!  
Program
6:30 - 7:00 pm: Beer and banter
7:00 - 8:00 pm: Program + Speakers
8:00 - 9:00 pm: More beer and banter  
Speaker Lineup:
- Paul Steely White, Transportation Alternatives          
- Eben Weiss, Bike Snob NYC 
- Courtney Williams, The Brown Bike Girl 

As a father of seventeen (17) children I don't get out too much these days, so expect me to drink way too much free beer and pass out a good 20 minutes before I'm supposed to speak.

Should be fun.



from Bike Snob NYC http://ift.tt/2zJuWM0

No comments:

Post a Comment