Tuesday, July 17, 2018

New Outside Column!

Hey everybody, look!  I have a new Outside column on the Internet about how drivers should keep their fucking mouths shut at all times!


You know how it is: when that window starts going down you know with 100% certainty that something stupid's gonna come out of it.  Maybe it's just a "Duh, where am I?," or maybe it's a full-on slur, but regardless, it's time someone engaged the child lock on these fuckers once and for all.

Moving on, I'm on Ol' Piney again today:


Why Ol' Piney instead of the Jones?  Well I had to bring The Car The Bank Owns Until I Finish Paying Them Back to the garage, I wanted to go for a ride after, and my roof rack won't accept thru-axles.

Don't worry, I didn't address any cyclists during my brief drive.  Well, except the roadie I tailed for 15 minutes and then pulled alongside so I could subject him to a tedious analysis of his pedal stroke.

That doesn't count, right?

By the way, when the gasoline-powered recumbent is finished at the garage it should have a hitch receiver on it, which should greatly facilitate chubby bike haulage.  I do have my reservations though, because when they asked me what I was going to be carrying and I replied, "Bicycles," they acted really relieved.  I probably should have said "Boat" so they'd think I was towing something heavy, but now that they know it's just some bikes they'll probably stick the receiver on there with bubble gum and hose clamps.

(Also, if you're wondering why someone who writes so much about the evils of automobiles uses one himself, it's only because I'm a gigantic hypocrite.)

Speaking of the Jones and unsolicited critiques, here's a comment someone left on yesterday's post:

Get a thudbuster! Hard tails really need one. Also the bike is clearly too small for you . So thudbuster and shorter stem will make it greater.

Oy.  [Insert Picard Facepalm meme here.]

Firstly, in all my commentary about this bike, where was the part where I complained about the goddman bumps?  My whole thing is that I like riding bikes without suspension.  So why, after finally procuring a bike from Jeff Jones, a lavishly bearded man who has dedicated his entire career to crafting suspension-free bicycles, would I put a bouncy seatpost of all things on it?  I mean if someone wants to use a Thudbuster then by all means go for it, but come on.

Secondly, the bike is not too small.  The recommended height for the medium is 5'7" to 6'2".  I am 5'10" soaking wet.  (I'm taller when dry because of my hair.)  Also, I don't know Jeff well, but based on my interactions with him it's clear he's a very thorough individual, and not the sort of person who's wont to send you the wrong size bike when he's launching a new career-defining product.  And if it's the spacers that are throwing you, keep in mind you gotta have room for the truss fork when you really go Full Jones:


Penultimately, here's another comment from yesterday:


Pabateman said...

Snob, I would be excited by a new bike too, hell, i used to be excited by one when i dropped the frame off for fresh fresh fresh yellow paint about 7 weeks ago....

But you couldn't cobble together one line about stage 9?

Kidding. Just wanted to say cobble. But was nice sunday race for fans of 25 to 28mm 

32 is best though. Science and Lob have seemed it true.

I did watch Stage 9.  In fact, I was enjoying it so much I didn't even bother going for a ride myself.  Also, I think the excitement of the stage sort of permeated the household, because afterwards I took my three year-old outside and he rode a bike with pedals for the very first time:


Now every single member of the household except for the cat can ride a bike, which means my work here is done and fatherhood is just coasting from here on in.

(He insisted on the helmet by the way.) 

Finally, yesterday I rode the forbidding Trails Behind the Mall, and on the way there I passed some police activity which turned out to be this:


YONKERS - A man who was found dead near Tuckahoe Road Monday morning was shot "numerous times," police said.

Police said Monday evening they are investigating the suspicious death. 

Just another idyllic day out on the bike.



from Bike Snob NYC https://ift.tt/2Nlm7Oy

No comments:

Post a Comment