Friday, July 13, 2018

This Just In: Test Bike Revealed!

I stand behind my tweet of yesterday in which I expressed this sentiment:
Nevertheless, when it comes to both fun and versatility you'd be hard-pressed to out-awesome a bike with voluminous tires and a wide gear ratio like the one I've been testing:


Which I can now identify as the Jones Plus SWB complete:


Yes, that's right, complete, like right out of the box.  Why is this a big deal?  Well, let's just say you're someone with a bike like this:


You like riding trails, but you also ride to and from the trails.  And while you love the bike you'd also like a variety of hand positions so you can enjoy the to-and-from part as much as the singletrack part.  So you install a Jones Loop Bar and eventually you wind up with this:


Now you love the bike even more, but having basically turned your bike into a Jones you realize that now you want an actual Jones.  After all, you're never going to put a suspension fork on that suspension-corrected bike, and Jones bikes are designed as though bicycle suspension doesn't even exist, which you find tremendously appealing.  However, getting a Jones isn't necessarily a cheap proposition.  Even the least expensive frame and fork is more than a thousand bucks, and you've got to build it up from there.

I think you know where I'm going with this:


Well now you can!  The Jones Plus SWB complete is $1,799 and here's the story:


(Wow, he's really good at riding bikes.)

I've been sold on Jeff Jones's approach to bikes for awhile now, so when told me he was going to offer a complete bike and asked me if I wanted to try it I politely replied "Send it the fuck over here right now."  Pretty soon after, this arrived:


Right away I opened it:


Took out the bike:


And got to work:


The bicycle arrived mostly assembled and what little I had to do was very straightforward, so before long I had a ready-to-ride bicycle on my hands:


Since putting the bike together this past weekend I've gotten three rides in on it, including a couple of forays into the forbidding Trails Behind the Mall:


I'll save any attempt at nuanced evaluation for a later date (with 60-ish miles on the bike so far I'm only just getting to know it), but for now I'll just say I've been enjoying this bike enormously.  It became clear to me early on that I was never going to get along with the saddle and so I've changed it (changing the saddle on a new complete bike is pretty much a given), but other than that all the components seem solid and I'm looking forward to many more rides on it:


I'll keep you posted.


from Bike Snob NYC https://ift.tt/2ueWTKD

No comments:

Post a Comment