Tuesday, July 18, 2017

A Very Quick Post Because Time Waits For No Fred, This One In Particular

First of all, great news!


Looks like I'll soon be taking delivery of one of those wooden bikes:


Wait, sorry, not that one.  This one:

I can't wait to try it, even though it doesn't have disc brakes:



I'll also have to carry around some tools while I dial in the adjustments.  Here's how you lower the integrated seatmast:


And here's how you raise it again:


Anyway, I'm looking forward to finding out whether the ride quality is woody or tinny, and I suspect it will be the former:



I'll keep you posted.

Maybe I'll use it for the BSNYC Gran Fondon't.

(Yes, I haven't forgotten.)

Of course, I'll also need a suitable pump to carry with me, and I'm leaning towards this mobile inflating device:


Typically I offer assistance when I pass another rider with a flat, but if I saw someone on the roadside churning away rhythmically with a delighted expression on his face I'd be out of the saddle and sprinting to safety like there was a $1,000 prime on offer:


But the best thing about this pump is that it's helping to save the planet:

Global warming is becoming more and more serious.  People getting less exercise and which leads to worse healthy level.

Therefore bicycle has become much more a favorite tool for transportation as well as exercising.   Having a flat tire somewhere in a remote place can be frustrating, thus a carry-on inflator is indispensable when biking.   Traditional inflators are either bulky/heavy or they need to be powered by electricity, which is inconvenient. 

Though I do my part by carrying the same mini pump I've had for over 20 years already.  I also refuse to use C02s, because frankly I don't see the point.  If you're racing you're dropped anyway, and if you're not what difference does an extra minute or two make?

Though I suppose triathletes like the way they look with their butt-rocket launching systems:



I mean that's what these things are, right?


Sure they are.

Lastly, my mail bag runneth over, because not only have I received these things which are not toe straps:


But I've also taken delivery of some exquisite hand-curated deerskin gloves:


I promise to tell you all about both items tomorrow, at least assuming I manage to wrap my mind around them by then.

Until then,

I remain,

Yours and so on,


--Wildcat Etc.




from Bike Snob NYC http://ift.tt/2uz8LYY

No comments:

Post a Comment